What to Expect
"Forest School provides children with repeated and regular access to a natural space as well as play-based, place-based, experiential, child-directed, emergent, and inquiry-based learning." - Forest School Canada
Each day at Forest School is a little different depending on where the children guide us in their play. We spend most of our day, if not all, outdoors in nature. Children are inspired by place, time, and the phenology of the seasons as well as their interactions with each other. Children's wonders, ideas, and interests guide the learning and shape the day.
What do we actually do at a Forest School?
- We build learning communities through play, adversity, and resiliency.
- We learn in nature as children are innately drawn to it.
- We learn through play as it is in this context that children are most receptive.
- We honour the will of the child.
- We celebrate the hundred languages of children.
- We offer learning environments that do not teach to predetermined outcomes.
- We support children's learning by scaffolding interests, wonders, ideas, creations, questions, thinking, and interactions.